Remote work has been around for several years now. In fact, countless people from around the world — known as digital nomads — have made lucrative careers out of it. Moreover, in recent years, companies have also started to embrace telecommuting for their employees as a way to cut down on overhead and increase productivity.
However, it was the COVID-19 pandemic that almost single-handedly made remote work mainstream. Now, as restrictions start to ease up, many businesses and employees are wondering if perhaps working from home is the best way to go.
If you’re one of the many workers who are now facing this shift to remote work, it’s important to learn the specifics of how you can succeed at it, possibly for good. Here’s all you need to know.
How To Succeed With Remote Work
Preparing to Make the Shift
If you are new to remote work, you will find the transition interesting, at the very least, and challenging, at worst. This is because, despite the obvious benefits of working remotely, you could encounter myriad threats to your productivity and creativity, which can have adverse effects on how you do your job.
For this reason, it’s wise to know what you’re in for as you make the shift from working in the office to working from home. You should also determine the actionable measures you can take to make this change work for you for the long haul.
- Whether you’re transitioning to at-home work by choice or by force, it’s important to learn the ins and outs of remote work and telecommuting as a newbie.
- No doubt, a huge part of this is done by recognizing the big challenges you may encounter so you’re better equipped to tackle them as they come.
- When you work from home, distractions from your family are possibly the biggest threat to your success as a remote worker. This is why you need a dedicated home office to keep your home and work life separate.
- And with the bulk of your job done online — the very nature of remote work — you want to make sure that you have sufficient internet speed and bandwidth to guarantee that your work proceeds without interruption.
Finding Amazing Opportunities
As you take your livelihood online and work remotely during the pandemic, it’s easy to assume that you may be narrowing down your horizons and missing out on potentially lucrative opportunities outside of the internet.
However, as you go deeper into telecommuting, you will likely find that there is, in fact, no dearth of viable work opportunities, as long as you know where to look and, even more importantly, know how to bank on your skills.
- As you begin to pound the digital pavement, you will likely discover that finding remote work opportunities is easier when you know where to look and have the right skills.
- Some hard and soft skills are more in-demand than others.
- It’s a good idea, therefore, to expand your expertise to include skills that complement your core competencies to make you stand out from the competition.
- Of course, it’s also important to limit your search for remote jobs to reputable online job boards to ensure that you don’t waste your time on scammers and lowballers.
- Additionally, you will also want to spruce up your social media presence as these networks are viable sources of remote work as well.
Leveraging the Right Tools and Resources
Even as you ease into the world of remote work, you will invariably find the need to streamline your work tasks, so that you not only work more efficiently but also work smarter while you’re at it.
Thankfully, there’s no shortage of resources and apps that you can take advantage of to support your focus and creativity, increase the quality of your output, and maybe even leave you with more time and opportunities to pursue the things that are closest to your heart.
- As you get used to working from home, you will find that having a solid suite of remote work apps will simplify your work life by leaps and bounds.
- Productivity apps can be a godsend, as they can keep distractions at bay and keep you focused on the tasks at hand, so you get them done efficiently and in record time.
- Also, always look for opportunities to automate tasks where you can.
- An online job board like Upwork is also a worthy resource for when you need to delegate tasks to freelancers, or even when you’re on the lookout for new projects.
Indeed, working remotely can seem daunting for a novice, but you may soon find that it’s the best way to work. So, look for ways to keep things lucrative and productive because once you go remote, chances are, you’ll never look back.
About the Author: https://www.mindbodyhealthsolution.com/about-april/