We are only weeks away between the Thanksgiving and New-Year Holiday Season and this is often perceived as slow sales and recruiting months. This is usually because there is an assumption that most people are not actively looking for new jobs or for new opportunities during the busy holiday season.
But the slowdown in hiring during the holidays is a myth and in fact, many recruiters and sales team say they feel increased pressure to fill open slots before the end of the year. People who wait or think that those jobs might be available after the first of the year might miss a golden opportunity.
One of the challenges at this time of the year is getting all the hiring managers and decision makers in the same room and/or on the same page. The volume of hiring might remain the same, but the pace does seem to slow down. However, if there are fewer job seekers and fewer resumes being sent. This can be an advantage and an opportunity for someone who truly meets the requirements of the job to stand out because the competition might be less.
Here are some tips on staying motivated during the Holiday seasons:
- Candidates generally have time off work over the Holiday season and would have more availability to attend interviews.
- Since the Holiday season in many industries represents a period of decreased activity in the workplace, therefore, it is also a great advantage to take some of that downtime to devote to your recruiting strategy. Get organized!!!
- Take advantage and start building your pipeline for the New Year.
- Staying Positive and Motivated
- Go to every Holiday or networking event: When the Holidays are in season, you can bet there will be Holiday parties. But while others are busy socializing, you can be busy building relationships with people you meet at these events. Keep your eyes open because you never know when you’ll pick up a new client.
- Clean up your workspace: While some might argue that organizing/cleaning is a conspicuously disguised attempt at procrastination, almost everyone will agree that an orderly workspace increases your productivity.
- Show your Candidates and Clients your appreciation by having a Holiday celebration of some kind. Little gestures, such as bringing in bagels or cookies can go a long way.
These are all good reasons to keep on being motivated during the Holiday season!! Remember, the early bird catches the worm.
“Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice: It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved” by William Jennings Bryan
Christine Mosessian is a Health care recruiter for Yoh’s Los Angeles office. She has been with the company for almost six years and has almost ten years of health care recruiting experience.